black & blue background

Thursday, July 1, 2010

New students.

My first experience with a pole was in my living room. Nice and private in a room with not many windows. I often wonder what it feels like to be a brand new pole student who gets to try her first class in front of a dozen other people who probably feel just as akward and unsure.

Sometimes, new students come to us in pairs (buddy system). But for the most part, they come alone. I admire the courage it must take to go through the new student path.

This is how I imagine the

1. She needs to hear about pole fitness.
2. She needs to determine if it's within her moral boundaries (this can take months or even years).
3. She needs to research it. Watch some youtube video's, find her local studio's, read teacher bio's, call a girl friend to discuss what she has learned.
4. She makes contact with the studio to inquire about pricing, location, what to wear.
5. More thinking and debating.....
6. She makes an attempt to convince a friend to try it with her. Usually, this fails.
7. She takes the bold action of getting online, grabbing the credit card, and purchasing the membership.
8. She will probably go to the store and find the perfect gym outfit.
9. The day of her first class, she is jittery at work. Can't talk to anyone without bringing up the word pole.
10. Drives to the studio, sits in her car and gathers her toughts. The excitment is filling her four door sedan.
11. This is the part when I have the opportunity to see a brand new member walk into the studio for her first time. I can always spot a new girl. Her face is full of nerves and excitement.
12. I will greet her, give her a tour, introduce her to her first teacher, and the rest is up to her.

Thank you students for managing to make it through all of these steps to get inside these studio doors. Wow....I've made myself cry. I better stop. I just wanted to say that I appreciate the courage it takes to step outside of your box and find us here at Adult Dance & Fitness where you are deeply loved.

-Meagan, Owner

1 comment:

  1. I just barely met you yesterday, so you missed my first official day and tour, but I have to say that those steps the new student goes through aren't far off from what I experienced.

    My first class was a week ago Monday when I took the Black Light class. I actually had NO idea what to expect, but I went anyway. The second the girls heard it was my first class EVER they were more than helpful in teaching me and helping me with the harder moves one-on-one.

    I have been following this blog for a long time and putting my time into figuring out if I was going to take the plunge and get the membership and I'm SO glad I did. I've taken a few classes and I've noticed that after every class I've got about 6 new bruises, but I feel SO MUCH BETTER about myself. I can conquer the world!!

    I just wanted to thank you for all the hard work I know you put in to making both studio's a reality.

    -Britney, one of your new students

    ReplyDelete