Time out. Let me take a break from the specials, the pictures, and the video's. I wanted to take just a moment to tell you what I have learned from owning this dance studio for the past five years.
1. I have gotten over my fear of having "girl friends". I was one of those girls that would have told you that I didn't have many girl friends because girls are catty, vicious, and evil. Although I have experienced quite a bit of this in the past five years of owning the studio, I have seen many examples of women helping women. The atmosphere in this place has been surprisingly supportive of womens differences and we all seem to come together for the common purpose of dance.
2. All you need is love. I know this sounds lame, but since I met my husband two years ago, I have accomplished more than I ever dreamed. He is my rock and the one who gives me energy to come to the studio and has taught me to appreciate dance and to love my job.
3. Dance is forever changing. Five years ago, I would have told you that the world revolved around jazz, ballet, and hip hop. Now I know better! Ever three months, I find a new dance style that I have to learn and some of them I end up bringing to the studio. Pole was a big surprise to me as well as circus fitness. I'm so glad that I didn't snub my nose at the word "pole".
4. My pole is my friend! Whenever I have a bad day, I know that my pole in my living room will be there with a boom box and my favorite MP3 mix. It's amazing what 20 minutes of free dance on the pole can do for your spirit.
5. Owning the studio has made me see my worst days and my best days. There have been days when I thought that I couldn't stay in business for one more month. This I can tell you: When you are at your lowest, there is always something good waiting to come your way. If you are doing what you love and you are doing it with integrity and putting the grunt work into it, you will get what you want.
6. If you come to the studio, chances are, you will get pregnant! This year alone, the studio has experienced more than 16 pregnancies with 6 of those coming from our instructors. Don't drink the water!
Thank you for listening. I am feeling very humbled today. I am sitting at my computer at the studio listening to classes happening, fans blowing, and the phrase 5, 6, 7, 8. Life is good and I am so lucky to have this studio and the people in it in my life!
-Meagan Goodson, Owner