black & blue background

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Top 10 ways to get the most out of your membership.

Britney Breitweiser, one of our blogging students wrote this nice "how to" for our daily blog. Thanks Brit!

"Top 10 ways to get the most out of your membership

1) Attend classes as often as possible! I like to find a few classes I like and make sure to at least attend those every week and add on a few more on top of that. Not only have I had a great time doing it, I’ve seen how the classes help with body sculpting. I am more visibly toned in about two months of attending classes than I ever have been before - it’s fantastic!

2) Try EVERYTHING! You never know what your hidden talents are if you never try. I never would have tried aerial silks had McKell not convinced me to go with her because honestly, I was a little bit terrified of them. The studio offers all kinds of classes including pole fitness, aerial silks, hoops, trapeze, rails, yoga pole, cardio step, zumba, chair dancing, black light, break dancing, belly dancing, as well as more core classes to get fit. There are so many different things to do at the studio every night it's hard to decide what you want to do!

3) Attend a class even if you don't have a friend with you. My very first class was a Black Light class. I had no idea what to expect and at the time I didn't have anybody to go with. I am so glad I did considering it's now one of my favorite classes at the studio.

The more I attended class, the more I realized I didn't HAVE to have someone there with me because the girls become your friends by celebrating with me when I hit a hard move that I haven't been able to yet or even with helping me with a move that I had yet to figure out (trust me, there are a lot of those).

4) Don’t worry about what you look like. I know I’ve looked ridiculous a time or two on everything I’ve tried, but you’ve just got to keep in mind that EVERYBODY has been a beginner once. Nobody just jumps onto a pole for the first time and hits level four moves – it takes time and practice and a LOT of looking ridiculous to get there.

5) Don’t worry about what other people think about you attending a pole fitness classes. I get the sarcastic remarks that I’m going to “stripper school” all the time. Even though the reputation of pole fitness is getting better, it’s still got a stigma attached to it with people claiming that it’s just immoral stripping. Pole fitness has been the most exciting thing I’ve ever done and the best workout I’ve ever had, and I’m glad I didn’t let other people’s opinions keep me away from the studio.

6) Follow Studio Blue’s blog. Meagan posts so many things about what is going on at the studio and the accomplishments of our instructors and students on her blog. About 99% of everything that happens at the studio is announced on the blog and it’s so much fun to read about! It’s become such a great tool to use to communicate when things are happening at both the Ogden and Midvale studio.

7) Attend events. The studio puts on great events that you can be involved with. The competition on September 10th was just one of those events. There will be more competitions in the future and I highly recommend attending them because I was able to see what I could be able to do if I am willing to put the hours into it. Seeing it live gave me so much more motivation to become better!

8) Get to know your instructors. The more you get to know your instructors, the more they get to know you – and that’s a really good thing! When they teach me a move on the pole or aerial, they know the moves I will struggle with and the ones that I will be able to pick up easily. Part of the reason I LOVE going to classes is because of the AMAZING instructors there are at the studio. It makes learning hard and sometimes painful moves so much FUN!

9) Get to know your fellow classmates. I figure if I’m going to see someone once, twice, or even three times a week, I may as well know a thing or two about them. The girls at the studio are amazing! I showed up completely nervous at my first Black Light class, and finally admitted that I'd never been to a class before and instantly the girls helped me with everything by making sure I knew what I was doing and that I was comfortable with the moves they were putting into the routine.

10) Know about what you are doing. Did you realize that the Pole Fitness Association is trying to qualify pole fitness a competitive sport in the Olympics?! There are really amazing things happening in the industry! Plus, it’s always fun to know who the latest elitist is and to watch videos of them in their element! There is always more to learn and ways to improve your own skills – keep up the good work and I’ll see you all in class!!

By: Britney Breitweiser"
Click here to view McKell and Britney's pole dancing blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment