black & blue background

Thursday, May 20, 2010

This is why we dance.

I had a new student come in today for her very first class. She walked in and I could tell that she was extremely nervous. She's a newly single lady probably in her 30's or 40's. I introduced myself and gave her the tour of the front half of the studio. She still seemed very unsure that this place was for her.

When women think of dance classes, they automatically think of children or teens. Once high school or college ends, most women write off dance altogether and that's what this woman had done to herself.

On the last half of the tour, I took her to our back dance room where we hold our pole and aerial classes. Immediately her face lit up. There was a class going on that included two other women in their 40's. I could tell that she really really wanted to open up and become her true self. She left with a huge smile on her face.

We should never have to apologize for being adult women who just want to shake our stuff. Dance is a natural gift that everyone posesses and we deserve to dance through our entire life.

I hope I see this lady again and I hope we can prove to her that it's okay to be a sexy woman and it's okay to love to dance. I can't wait to watch her morph into the woman she was always meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment